DID YOU KNOW THIS ABOUT SECURITY IN NIGERIA…?
First published: 29 June 2014 at 14:15
This piece is not meant to denigrate the great sacrifices of our security personnel, but it is meant to educate and also cause some departments that look like they have shirked some of their statutory responsibilities as it concerns security to wake up to these responsibilities particularly as our nation is under attack. Also it is a call for the war against insurgency to go beyond apprehending the foot soldiers, to go to the next level of revealing the backers and sponsors.
The Nigerian Police:…..Budget in 2013 N319Billion
· Planning and organizing INTERNAL SECURITY measures ……….
· Planning and management of incidents such as disturbance, riots, national disasters,elections, SUPPRESSION OF INSURRECTIONS …
The EFCC is empowered as follows…
· ‘the adoption of measures to identify, trace, freeze, confiscate or seize PROCEEDS DERIVED FROM TERRORIST ACTIVITIES……related offences or the properties the value of which corresponds to such proceeds’.
The Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) is responsible:
· For the receipt and analysis of financial disclosure (Suspicious transaction reports) and dissemination of intelligence generated there-from, to competent authorities.
The Ministry of Interior:
· The mandate of the Ministry is fostering THE MAINTENANCE OF INTERNAL SECURITY and citizenship integrity for the promotion of good governance.
The Office of the National Security Adviser:
In June 1986 President Ibrahim Babangida issued Decree Number 19, dissolving the National Security Organization (NSO)and restructuring Nigeria's security services into three separate entities under the Office of the Co-ordinator of National Security.
· The StateSecurity Service (SSS) now DSS was made responsible for domestic intelligence.
· The NationalIntelligence Agency (NIA) handled external intelligence andcounterintelligence.
· The DefenceIntelligence Agency (DIA) was responsible for military-relatedintelligence outside and inside Nigeria.
· Themission of the DSS is to protect and defend the Federal Republic of Nigeriaagainst domestic threats, to uphold and enforce the criminal laws of Nigeria,and to provide leadership and criminal justice services to both federal andstate law-enforcement organs.
The NationalOrientation Agency:
· Propagate the need to eschew all vices in public life including … religious bigotry; propagate the virtue of … commitment to and the promotion of national integration;
· Sensitise,induct and equip all Nigerians to fight against all forms of internal andexternal domination by a few individuals or groups.
· Establish appropriate national framework for educating, orientating and indoctrinatingNigerians towards developing socially desirable attitudes, values and culture which will project individual national pride and position national image for Nigeria;
The killing fields….
The insurgency that began in the North East obviously suffered heavy casualtieswhen they confronted the military in 2013 and this made the intellectual arm inthe guise of Religious Leaders, Politicians, Regional Leaders to call for certainmilitary officers to be taken to the International Court of justice for genocide.
The tactics of the insurgents have changed and I suspect that two to three man cells have been created allover the country and since they deal in ‘improvised explosive devices’ and theuse ofmobile phones as detonators theydo not have to carry their tools of death from point to point thus showing thelimitations of searching vehicles.
The physical searches will help to seek out Guns, Dynamite, Gas cylindersand large Pipes or Cylinders, Electrodes, Oxygen & Acetylene, the latter asrevealed in the Kano bursts by the Police will be used for welding and buildingthe IEDs.
These cells are activated once any good news about the country happensand mayhem is unleashed and no one is spared even children as depicted by thekilling of 39 innocent children in FGGC Yobe.
Let no one feel safe or that the terrorist are not in your corner, aslong as junkies are in your vicinity, it means that willing recruits are availableto be utilized for these murderous assignments.
The Office of the Co-ordinator of NationalSecurity…
While the military is engaged in the skirmishes in the middle belt , thenorth east and providing support for internal security , it is time for the Officeof the National Security Adviser to reveal the following:
Where were the operatives indoctrinated?
How were they recruited and where?
Who funded their trips locally and internationally?
Who granted them visas to go train abroad?
Who gave visa to the Trainer to come into Nigeria or were they smuggledinto Nigeria?
Who bought tickets for them?
How are they funded? The Public, Corporate bodies, foreign bodies orfrom Crime (Robberies, Kidnapping or illegal oil bunkering)?
How are these funds moved around? If human mules are involved, have theybeing identified?
Who are the Trainers for Improvised Explosive Devices?
Where did they train locally or in which foreign Country?
THE POLITICAL /PROPANGANDA WING:
Who are those that constitute their intellectual wing?
Who are the drivers of the intellectual and propaganda objectives?
Who are the associates (Individuals, Corporate Bodies, Groups, andAssociations) of the intellectual wing?
The way forward…
There is a need for dedicated courts and the operators must be clearlyprotected beyond normal for it to be successful for it is time for Sponsors tobe publicly prosecuted.
THE MOSQUES & CHURCHES:
These bodies must be appealed to offer daily prayers against theseterrorist and denouncing them publicly before God and man.The mass of thepeople listen to their Preachers.
The insurgency has copied its modus operandi from foreign lands and we werewitnesses that the Ramadan season was not spared in bloodletting like in Iraq.Thus I will suggest that large number of jammers and other protective devicesare provided for these large prayer groups or a new or modified smaller groupprayers can begin to take place.
NATIONAL ORIENTATION AGENCY & MINISTRY OFINFORMATION:
It is time for the agency to go to every nook and cranny and begin toengage the people and tell them …
· ’ bomb nodey select person’,
· ‘Bullet nodey look face’,
· ‘Kidnapperno dey select him sister for kidnap…’
NOA ..Oya time to act …enough of Abuja announcements. It is time to sellthe slogan of ‘One for all, all for one’.